In the previous post, we briefly looked at different areas of the brain and its functions related to stroke. . After a stroke, depending on the area of the brain affected, there are different approaches you can consider in terms of stroke rehabilitation.
Recovery of motion after stroke is possible through the principles of neuroplasticity. Rehabilitation training can help improve the quality and degree of movement that is affected related to stroke. Here are some benefits of stroke rehabilitation that are important to keep in mind: :
Benefits of Stroke Rehabilitation
1. Early rehabilitation and intensive training, involving hundreds of repetitions, allows for greater opportunity for improvement of movement after stroke.
2. Rehabilitation activates the neural networks of the brain and what “fires together, wires together” to use undamaged areas of the brain to compensate for the areas affected by the stroke
3. Stroke rehabilitation and increased activity and exercise can decreases the risk of of having future strokes
4.Rehabilitation scan improve independence with activities of daily living and return to meaningful tasks
5. Rehabilitation can help prevent complications after a stroke such as edema, blood clots or other complications
Individuals who have had a stroke often start receiving rehabilitation after they are medically stable. Studies have shown that the faster early and intensive rehabilitation is implemented after the patient is medically stable, around 24-48 hours, the more primed the brain is for re-wiring. —
This ability of the brain to rewire itself after stroke or brain injury is also known as , neuroplasticity. For more information about how neuroplasticity works, please refer to this post.
Consistent and repetitive training is an important feature of rehabilitation training. Neofect Home was developed to provide consistent and fun rehabilitation training through the use of training activities. With an algorithm based on artificial intelligence, the device evaluates the patient’s motion, coordination and timing and recommends suitable training sessions based upon the findings. One of our goals at Neofect is to make sure that Smart Rehab technology is easily accessible for patients to use in their home. If you want to learn more, please visit our website.
*Neofect Home Inquiry:
-Phone: (888) 623-8984
- June LeeClinical Manager / Physical Therapist